"As poet Robinson Jeffers has noted, it is the fang that has created the fleet foot of the antelope." Listed below is information about the importance of natural predators for the health of prey animals.
The Benefit of Predators
"In general, hunters take animals in the prime of life, while predators disproportionately take out older, younger, or less fit individuals.
Predators can also limit the effects of disease. Diseases like Chronic Wasting Disease found in elk, deer, and moose since infected animals are more vulnerable to predators." ~ by George Wurthner
Chronic Wasting Disease
"Chronic Wasting Disease otherwise known as (CWD), is a prion disease that affects several cervid species: deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer, and moose. "
~Centers for Disease and Control
How You Can Help
Colorado Parks & Wildlife CWD video Series
What Hunters Can Do
Butchering Your Kill
How to butcher your kill if you are concerned with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
- Be alert for deer or elk acting abnormally or that look sick; report any such animals to agency officials.
- Wear rubber or latex gloves when you field-dress your animal.
- In areas reported to have CWD, minimize your contact with a dead deer's brain and spinal cord and wash your hands after contact.
- Don't eat deer brains or spinal cord.
- Bone out your deer meat and discard the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, and lymph nodes.
- If an animal is from a CWD-suspect area, unused parts, especially skull and spine, should be disposed of in an approved landfill or incinerator.
- "In many parts of the country the deer population has grown out of control, causing tens of thousands of deer-related car crashes and the destruction of natural habitat." By Sean Page
Hunting in area's with known CWD
"If you’re hunting in an area with chronic wasting disease, get the animal tested before it ever hits your plate, and don’t eat meat that tests positive." ~Brent Race - High Country News
Predators Help Manage Disease
Manage for and maintain a diverse and healthy Ecosystem, which of course must also include two of nature's historically proven management tools; the Wolf, and the Mountain Lion.
Wolves, by design keep deer and elk populations strong and healthy.
Mass Mortality Events. What are MME's?
The demands on wildlife are great. With Chronic Wasting Disease spreading across the United States. Predators, by their very nature are disposed to kill and consume the weak and sick. This process is tens of thousands of years old. It's the original wisdom.