Learning Fire by friction with The Bow Drill is our goal. Simply put, the level of knowledge and physical endurance required to be consistent using this technique is expert level. But we begin with a solid foundation where you will walk away from this course with a thorough understanding of success with the bow drill.
The Bow Drill
Tuition: please contact us for one-on-one or group custom training opportunities.
READ: Registration Policies before purchasing. Buy by check
The Bow Drill
Make fire the old way. Knowledge, technique, tenacity, and an expert coach. These are the key components to your success.
Become a Fire-Keeper. Insuring the old ways of Fire Craft for future generations. Be a master of the "whirling wood".
A magical dance between oxygen, fuel, and friction. When these three works together in harmony you have success.
Bow Drill Field Course
- Driving directions, gear list, start time, and forms specific to your class are provided upon registration
- No smoking
- No dogs or pets allowed on camp premises or in vehicles
- Leave No Trace: pack it in and pack it out
Location and accommodations
The Oregon Survival School operates out of two primary privately owned locations.
Check under DETAILS at the top of the page for class locations.
- Coast Camp: is near Florence in an old-growth Sitka Spruce forest with wetland and lake habitat.
- Cascade Camp: near Oakridge is a mixed conifer Douglas Fir forest with streamside, wetland, and meadow habitats.
Welcome to Coast Camp! It is located approximately one hour's drive west of Eugene. Camping is not available on-site. Please see area accommodations for the closest camping including Honeyman Memorial State Park, Lagoon Campground, and Darlings Marina & RV Resort. There are hotel accommodations in and around Florence OR., 97439, and in Dune City.
Welcome to Cascade Camp! Tent and car camping are available onsite at Cascade Camp. We are located approximately one hour's drive east of Eugene, near the community of Oakridge, OR. 97463